top of page

National Corvette Museum 
11th Anniversary Celebration & Hall of Fame

Bowling Green, KY
September 1-4, 2005

Tuesday, August 30

Oh-Dark-Thirty Four: Leaving my parents' house in Phila.

Arrival at Mallett's in Berea, OH for the (sort of) annual maintenance on the Vette.

Chuck hard at work.
This trip he replaced all 4 shocks, both belts, flushed the brakes, checked everything.

He also autographed the fuel rail cover on the engine...

...and The Fender! The Flames took all of 3 seconds - looked like he was scribbling!

Leaving Chuck's for the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY...
and my date with hurricane Katrina.

As I neared Columbus (which would have been enjoying rush hour), the approaching
darkness, torrential rain and resultant greatly reduced visibility from the remnants
of Katrina prompted me to quit early, in Belleville, OH.

Wednesday, August 31

In the morning, it was still raining, but at least I could see
my way through the Columbus morning rush.

By Cincinnati, the rain had stopped.

By Louisville, KY, the sky was blue.

Arrival in Bowling Green, KY at the Corvette Plant, where I dropped off The Fender so Plant Manager Wil Cooksey could take it to his weekly Staff Meeting for more autographs.

Thursday, September 1

Our setup for the next 3 days in The Atrium of the National Corvette Museum.

The Vette was parked out on the Circle, next to Chuck Mallett's display.

Friday, September 2


Upon arriving at the Museum, I couldn't resist shooting the incredibly realistic
airbrushed flames on this black C5.

I abandoned my table long enough to attend Lance Miller's tribute to his Dad, Chip.

That afternoon, I went back over to the Corvette Plant to pick up The Fender.
While waiting in the lobby, I noticed my car on the security monitor
scanning the parking area outside!

Wil Cooksey's assistant brought The Fender out to me, and I got these shots: under
Wil's photo in the lobby and outside by the Plant sign and the display Corvette,
which happened to be the same color!

Back at my display in the Museum, John Spencer dropped by to visit. He's the
project manager in the Plant who sent The Fenders to us for our fundraising efforts.

Thank you, John!
(Yes, he signed it too)

The Hall of Fame Induction Banquet.

Here Retired Corvette Chief Engineer Dave McLellan reads Corvettes@Carlisle

co-founder Chip Miller's induction declaration as Board Chairman Larry Martin and Chip's son Lance and widow Judy look on.


No big deal, I thought. This is fuse BCM2!

(Click photo for the story)

OK. Now back to work!

Saturday, September 3

That afternoon, new Hall of Fame honoree Randy Whittine stopped
by to autograph my banner, the fender and the R-C C6.

Lifetime Members' Dinner and Auction

Here we line up for a caravan to Museum Director Wendell Strode's home.

Not far from our destination, we disrupted a dove hunting party. Hey, it's Kentucky!

The dinner was great, and Wendell graciously allowed me to put THE FENDER in
the Auction, even though it was not to benefit the Museum. Unfortunately, bidding
stalled at about $900, so I thanked everybody for the support, but withdrew
it from further bidding. I knew I could get a lot more than that.

Sunday, September 4

After packing the car for the trip home, I visited Sandy's brick on the front walk.

On the road again.

A quick stop across the street to thank Art for his help and insight!
He has a lot of cool cars:

This must be Lexington, KY!

Monday, September 5

After surviving the overnight at a really crappy Super 8 motel in Carlisle, PA, it was on to home.
(The trip figure below is since the computer reset during the

testing for the column lock problem, not for the round trip.)

bottom of page